Monday, September 5, 2011

Arrived Home Safe and Sound

I have arrived back to my University in Madison, Wisconsin after a safe flight home.  Reflecting back on the trip, it is safe to say it was a challenging one but definitely productive.  I will continue to receive follow-up information from my midwife contact at the hospital of mothers and their infants as it becomes available.  And so far, there still has been no infant deaths!  This in itself is a huge success. 

The biggest benefit I see from this project is truly learning where a great need lies in the Iganga area regarding infant mortality rates.  As I mentioned before, it is within the village away from the hospital.  There are many different levels of health centers surrounding the district serving many mothers where the resources and education are severely limited.  This is my new focus as I feel confident the staff at the hospital has learned how to give the appropriate discharge health education. There is still an issue at the hospital of a large number of "runaway" mothers who fail to stay at the hospital until discharge--but I am also working on this issue.  I have met many contacts and organizations working diligently in the area addressing similar health focuses as me and I am so glad to learn of the efforts and the potential connections of the future.

Thank you for following my first blog! I have posted photos of the trip on facebook.  And if you have any questions regarding the project or are looking for connections in the area, don't hesitate to ask.  Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment