Monday, August 8, 2011

Arrived Safe and Sound

After 16 hours of flight, 8 hours of layover, and a 4 hour matatu (cramped taxi bus) ride, I have arrived at Iganga, Uganda.  Not much has changed, except there being more trash on the streets.  And the sun hasn't shown itself since I arrived which is also not normal.  The children still yell "Muzungu bye!"  Which means bye white person.  Michael's family has been incredibly welcoming to me and I did get to meet his new baby boy Kevin.  Good news-my room this time has been cockroach free (so far)!

The plan of action for the next three days is as follows.  Today, I will acquire all the materials I need for the project, which includes printing consent forms, questionnaires, and drawing the educational materials. Tomorrow, I will go to the hospital to observe their postnatal care and determine how they currently track infant mortality.  And then on Wednesday, I will be meeting with the heads of the hospital to create a team who will be in charge of the project.  Because I cannot speak the local language, Lusoga, I unfortunately will not be administering the education.  After the meeting, the project will officially begin.  Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. Good luck!!! I'm so proud of you and all that you're doing :)

    ReplyDelete