Monday, August 22, 2011

Halfway Done

I have been in Uganda for over two weeks now which means less than two weeks left!  Unfortunately there is not much to update you all on the project but I'll share other things that I have been doing in my free time.

First, the follow-ups have started.  Sister Rose Baluka is in charge of this as she knows the language and the mothers know her so it makes for better communication and data.  From first glance at the data it looks like there is success all around.  Of course, because I have such a small sample size, I am not expecting a large amount of infant death.  Out of the 50 mothers I plan to have enrolled, there should not be more than 5 infant deaths.  The mothers we cannot contact via phone will be reached by us traveling to their home.  This will be starting this week.  So far there is a total of 38 mothers enrolled in the program that have received the health care education and 16 controls enrolled who did not receive the education for one reason or another.  We shall just continue with what we are doing until the project completes.

In my free time, I have been reaching out to other organizations I am involved with or know of in Uganda.  On Sunday I traveled to the capital city, Kampala, to a Village Health Project colleague. The Village Health Project is a student org and nonprofit at my University that also works in Uganda.  I helped Paul, the contact, with the construction of water tank manuals that our organization uses in the villages.  Today I just returned from Bulamagi village where I traveled with the Uganda Village Project, another nonprofit, to help them in the building of proper sanitation and hygiene facilities at the villagers home.  It is interesting to see the differences between those who live in town and the villagers.  From today's visit-I much prefer the villagers! They seem to really appreciate the help offered and respect us more. 

It's getting dark here (at 6 pm) so I must end to travel home. Til next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment