Thursday, August 11, 2011

Commence IM Program!

This morning I headed out to the hospital at 8 am to prep the staff on the infant mortality education protocol.  It was slightly intimidating to be telling these much older, experienced midwives on how and what they should teach but I hope their blank stares were only because it was so early in the morning.  Today a midwife named Sister Agnes ran the education and I am so glad she did.  She did such a fantastic, thorough job.  So fantastic that it made me question if she hadn't done this before.  I asked the student nurse who was assisting how this education differs from what they say everyday at discharge time.  Her disappointing response? "In no way. We say this everyday."  Ahhh, what?  Apparently since the creation of the project, the ward received books and information about proper postnatal care.  I obviously went home at lunchtime very frustrated. 

After lunch I decided to speak to Sister Agnes directly and ask how the project could now be improved.  She informed me that the resources I have provided her actually will ensure that all of the education is given.  Currently some days the midwives will only discuss breastfeeding or even none at all if they are too busy.  At least while I am there, they will cover all the needed information.  I also learned of a very disturbing occurrence.  Over half of the mothers who give birth simply "run off" and do not stay to receive monitoring, care, vitamins, or discharge information (including how to receive their 6 week infant vaccinations).  I am currently brainstorming and working with the staff on how to address this.

For the knitters in the crowd:  There were 6 mothers in the program this morning and they simply loved getting to pick out a hat.  Though a lot of their babies cried when they put it on, I hope they try it again.  And in the afternoon I learned of a mother who gave birth to triplets yesterday (she must stay one week in the ward-which means she won't enter the program) but I gave her three small hats anyway and have some great photos to share!

No comments:

Post a Comment